Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spiritual senses of hearing and smell

Yesterday, my wife recounted that she was awokened by the beautiful sound of cascading waterfall on the piano. There's no piano in my rented house, actually. We only have a small keyboard and my daughter couldn't play the keyboard yet. And we have never heard any of our neighbours practicing piano. So, we concluded and believed that her spiritual ears were opened to hear the heavenly music.

Shortly after, she wanted to get up from the bed to look for the source of the music but she was too tired to do so and as she was still lying down on the bed, she began to smell a strong incense smell filling the room. She interpreted the phenomenon as an indication of God's presence in our house. This was not the first time she discerned the smell of incense. In fact, about 2 months ago, she told me that she could smell the smell of incense all over me on one Sunday in church. I do not know what does that mean but I believe that her spiritual sense of smell must have been quickened during such occurences.

Naturally speaking, my wife has a weak sense of smell. She would always 'consult' me, i.e. to smell certain food whether it's still fresh or not. On the other hand, I have a strong sense of smell (natural sense) - which actually explains my love for tasty food :) There was an occassion whereby when we have just arrived home from church and the moment she stepped into our house, she mentioned that there's such a sweet fragrance in the house! I tried using my physical sense of smell but all I could smell was the same old air inside the house :) Later in the afternoon, I began to smell a sweet smelling fragrance and concurred with my wife that indeed it is a "spiritual" smell.

The first time I actually paid attention to the spiritual sense of smell was when I attended Kathie Walters' meeting. I was sitting at the front row in her meeting (there's no distance in the spirit realm, though) and when she smelled honey, I seemed to smell the same thing and sometimes there was this fragrance of fresh apple. Kathie mentioned that different fragrance speaks of different things, i.e. refreshing, enlightenment, etc. In fact, I notice that in the Song of Songs, many kinds of fragrances were mentioned. For example, "..the smell of your breath scented like apples" (Song of Songs 7:9),etc.

Whether one's spiritual senses of hearing and/or smell are quickened or not does not elevate his or her spiritual position. In other words, by being able to tap into the spiritual senses of hearing and smell does not make anyone a more spiritual person than everybody else. At the same time, we are not to run here and there exerting ourselves in our attempt to hear or smell spiritual stuffs. But, I believe that if we are hungry for more of Him and we do not limit what God can do, He will meet us at the level of our hunger.

Jesus is altogether lovely indeed! Oh, there's so much more for us to explore in Him and His Kingdom that deserves our energy and time to seek out. Draw me after You, Lord and let us run together...
Reactions:

9 responses:

  1. Do you know what an odor of amonia or cat urine could be? I have smelled that at different times and I think its some sort of attack or witch craft in the works, or a jezebel spirit. What do you think? I'm not sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just learning the spiritual smells myself...I just recently found that I had the spirituall sense of smell.
      From what I have found out ...Cat Pee means a wrong plan and Amonia means cleansing.
      God could be showing you that you are following the wrong plan or path and he is wanting to cleanse or change that.
      I hope that helps.

      Delete
  2. Hi Anonymous,

    I think I have smelled odor of ammonia during deliverance session before. It could point to demonic presence.

    For an extensive list of aroma's list, you may want to check Kathie Walter's page here

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have fully developed spiritual abilities and powers inside of you, then you will be able to hear what others cannot hear and smell what others can’t smell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have smelled odor of rose during prayer times(The rose of sharon) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fragrance of flowers indicates the presence of the Lord

      Delete
  5. Just today I had a strong smell of apples, we have no apples in the house or anything apple scented. Right after the smell disappeared I got very cold to the point of goose bumps..any idea ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the past couple of days I have also smelled apples (McIntosh) around the same time each night. I only lasts about 15 seconds or so.

      Delete
    2. God's breath smells like apples.

      Delete